Planning Commission

  • 1st Wednesday of each month
  • 6:30 p.m.
  • City Hall
    22112 El Paseo
    Rancho Santa Margarita,CA 92688
Agendas & Minutes
Planning Commission agendas are posted 72 hours prior to the meeting taking place. Planning Commission minutes are posted within 3 business days following the date the minutes are approved by the Planning Commission. Both agendas and minutes are posted to the City's website for 2 months following each meeting. For copies of earlier Planning Commission agendas or minutes, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 949-635-1800, ext. 6201.
View All Agendas and Minutes


  • Mark McQuaid, Chair
    Resident since 1999
  • Anne Figueroa, Vice-Chair
    Resident since 1994
  • John Christopoulos, Commissioner
    Resident since 1998 


  • Jim Eakin, Commissioner
    Resident since 1999
  • David A. Robertson, Commissioner
    Resident since 2000





The Planning Commission consists of 5 members appointed by a majority vote of the City Council. Members must be residents and registered voters of Rancho Santa Margarita and normally serve 2-year terms.

As stipulated by California law, the Planning Commission advises the City Council in developing and drafting land use and planning legislation, including the General Plan, specific plans, and implementing ordinances such as the Zoning Code. The Planning Commission also makes recommendations to the City Council regarding land use, reviews proposed development for consistency with the Zoning Code and the General Plan of the City and for compatibility with the surrounding neighborhood and environment.

The Planning Commission also performs a quasi-judicial function by deciding whether particular projects or requests presented meet requirements of the General Plan, Zoning Ordinances, and/or state law. Decisions of the Planning Commission may be appealed to the City Council.

Serving on the Commission
If you are interested in serving in the City by participating on the Planning Commission, please fill out the Planning Commission Application (PDF) and return to the City Clerk's Office.