Mortgage Assistance

Program Options
Keep Your Home California is a federally funded program to help California homeowners struggling to pay their mortgages. If you are a homeowner facing foreclosure, you may want to be aware of the 4 types of assistance the Keep Your Home California program offers:
  1. The Unemployment Mortgage Assistance (UMA) Program provides mortgage payment assistance to eligible homeowners who have experienced an involuntary job loss and are receiving California Employment Development Department (EDD) unemployment benefits. Benefit assistance through UMA can be up to $3,000 per month and can last up to 9 months. The maximum assistance per household is $27,000.
  2. The Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program (MRAP) provides assistance to eligible homeowners who, because of a financial hardship, have fallen behind on their payments and need help to reinstate their past due 1st mortgage loan. Benefit assistance through MRAP can be a 1-time payment of up to $20,000 to cover principal, interest, taxes and insurance, as well as any homeowner's association dues.
  3. The Principal Reduction Program (PRP) provides assistance to eligible homeowners who have experienced an economic hardship coupled with a severe decline in the home's value. Homeowners who qualify for the PRP could be eligible for up to $50,000 in assistance from Keep Your Home California. The PRP requires a dollar-for-dollar match from the participating servicer, so the total amount of reduced principal could be up to $100,000.
  4. The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) provides 1-time funds to help eligible homeowners relocate into a new housing situation after executing a short sale or deed-in-lieu of foreclosure program. The TAP can provide up to $5,000 in transition assistance per household.